SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT RELATED TO COVID-19
COVID-19 has presented challenges to us doing site visits and we are adapting as much as possible. Our habitat technicians are currently offering one or more of the following options based on their risk and comfort level: 1) participant stays inside during site visit; 2) participant joins technician outside during site visit while staying masked and physically distanced; or 3) participant has the option to be placed on hold until regular outside visits are resumed (timeframe unknown). Thank you for joining our community and stay safe!
The Backyard Habitat Team
Thank you for your interest in Backyard Habitat!
Overview of enrollment process:
- Fill out the form below to enroll.
- Submit your enrollment fee (unless you’re in one of our NEW communities – please see information about our program area below). Enrollment is offered on a sliding scale to help increase financial accessibility and to remove barriers to participation.
- If you’ve received an initial site visit before and are now ready for a certification visit, use the Contact Us page.
- Read our “What to Expect” page for an overview of the process.
Our program area:
Our program currently works with sites that are smaller than one acre (exception for community sites such as schools, community gardens, religious institutions, etc.) in the following areas:
- Clackamas County – Damascus, Gladstone, Happy Valley, Jennings Lodge, Johnson City, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie, Oak Grove, Oregon City, Rivergrove, West Linn, Wilsonville
- Clark County – the entire county
- Multnomah County – Fairview, Gresham, and Portland (NEW communities: Wood Village and Troutdale beginning in Fall/Winter 2020)
- Washington County – Beaverton, Tigard, Tualatin, King City, and unincorporated Washington County (NEW communities: Cornelius, Forest Grove, Hillsboro, and Sherwood beginning in Summer/Fall 2020)
Timeline for visiting:
At this time, there is unprecedented demand for the program, and site visits are being scheduled as quickly as possible. Our timeline for visiting newly enrollees sites are:
- Multnomah, Clackamas, and Washington County – between 1 and 2 months after enrolling.
For NEW communities (Cornelius, Forest Grove, Hillsboro, and Sherwood) – between 3 and 6 months after enrolling. In these new communities, we are working through a waitlist that we anticipate wrapping up in summer 2021. Please sign up to be added to the Waitlist now, but DO NOT PAY until we contact you in a few months.
- Clark County – approximately 6 months. We are working through a long waitlist that we anticipate wrapping up in spring 2021. Please sign up to be added to the Waitlist now, but DO NOT PAY until we contact you in a few months.
Outside our service area:
If you’re in an area that we don’t yet serve, you can add yourself to our waitlist by signing up below (submit the enrollment form but don’t submit a payment). We’ll notify you if/when we expand into your area. In the meantime, things to know are:
- You can click on the Resources tab above to view general information on steps you can take now to create habitat!
- You can sign up for our free quarterly e-newsletter (see “Stay Informed” at the bottom of this page).
- No matter where you live, we can all make a difference in creating a region where people and wildlife thrive together!