Native plants are adapted to our climate and naturally resistant to pests and diseases. They require less maintenance and have additional stormwater and wildlife advantages. Most importantly, they are fundamental in supporting wildlife.
What plants are considered locally native?
Backyard Habitat focuses on plants that are native to our specific ecoregion, the Willamette Valley. An ecoregion is a large area that has distinct environmental conditions. The plants native to an ecoregion have specifically evolved and adapted to those conditions over thousands of years. Our program uses the Portland Plant List to determine if a plant is native to our ecoregion. See the map below (courtesy of Metro).
Native Plant Resources
- Articles and studies that support our mission to increase native plants in the region
- Resources to guide you in the selection of native plant species
- Resources & map on where to buy native plants (nurseries, seed vendors, & plant sales)
- Resources for helping you create your own naturescape
- Resources for helping you improve the health of your soil